So you want to start a blog? That’s one of the best decisions you can make in this era. This a detailed guide on how to start a blog in Nigeria with N5000 to N12,000 easily without having to hire any website or blog designer.
In this guide, you will briefly know;
- What a blog is and benefits of having one
- Which platform is best for blogging
- Where to buy domain and host name at cheaper price
- eBook on how to set up a blog on WordPress
Let’s get started.
Do you know you can actually have a professional WordPress blog set up with as little as $15? Yes you can! In this article, you know how.
What is a blog and why should you have one?
A blog, formerly called, weblog is a small, personal website. It is for displaying information in a the reverse chronological order I.e newest posts appear first. Blog is a platform where someone or group of people share their passions with the rest of the world.
What is Blogging?
Blogging is simply the process of keeping a blog updated that is, writing and publishing articles on the blog. It is simply the set of skills needed to run a blog.
Who is a Blogger?
Blogger is someone who owns, runs ad control a blog.
Whatever you know how to do, you can do it with your blog.
Purposes/Benefits of having a blog in Nigeria/world at large
There are tons of reasons to start a blog in Nigeria. It can be for personal use or business.
- For businesses that already have a website, having a blog that is frequently updated will help increase your visibility on search engines in front of right audiences. Without a blog, your business website will remain almost invisible.
- Blog sends quality of leads to your business
- Personally, a blog is an avenue to share things that interest you with the rest of the world.
- Blogging helps sharpen your writing skill and bring about increase in knowledge in the area you should to blog about
- Blog can be a source of side income for you or main source depending on how serious you take it.
Blog terms to know
- Domain: Custom domain name is the website address your blog will be available on. It is just like your home address. Anyone that wants to to see you will have to come down to your house right? That’s how domain work too. It is what people type in their browsers to access your blog contents. E.g www.assistblogger.com .com domain costs $6.06 presently on Namecheap.
- Hosting Space: It is also called server space. It is provided by web hosting company like Namecheap. It is where everything about your blog, contents, updates, designs, etc will be stored so that it can be accessible by anyone at any time from anywhere in the world. Hosting space is needed for having a self hosted blog.
- Cpanel: This is the control room that will be provided by the host company for you to install WordPress on the domain name you have bought and set up the blog.
- Niche: This simply means the area of life you want to blog about. See a detailed guide on how to choose your blog niche here.
How to buy domain name & host account at cheaper price in Nigeria
The web hosting company I use and strongly recommend is Namecheap. On Namecheap you can buy your .com domain name for just $6.06 and 20gb hosting account for just $8.88 because they are offering promo.
To know how to buy cheap domain name and host on Namecheap, check out this detailed guide here before you continue with the steps below.
Best platforms for blogging In Nigeria
If you want to start a blog in Nigeria, there are two platforms to pick from, WordPress.org & Blogspot (Blogger). I strongly recommend WordPress.org (otherwise known as Self hosted blog).
Benefits of blogging on WordPress.org
Like I said earlier, WordPress.org is the best blogging platform you can ever think of. It is called a self hosted blog because you will be hosting it yourself and when you do, you have total control over your blog.
- You own your website and all its data and you are in full control
- You can add free, paid, and custom WordPress plugins / apps to your website
- You can use customize your website design any way you want
- You can actually make money by running your own ads without sharing revenue with anyone
- You can use self-hosted WordPress to create an online store to sell digital or physical products, accept credit card payments, and deliver / ship the goods directly from your website
- You can also create membership sites and sell memberships for premium content, courses, etc.
How to start a blog on WordPress In Nigeria with $15
To start a blog on WordPress, follow the steps below;
STEP ONE: Pick a Niche. This is the area of life your blog will be based on. E.g Health, Sort, Entertainment, Finance etc.
NOTE: You must make sure people are spending money in that niche and has high search volume and audiences. See a guide on how to choose your blog niche here.
STEP TWO: Buy a domain name that matches the niche of your blog. When you are sure of the domain name, check if its available. If it is, go ahead and buy. Use the widget below;
Find your preferred domain starting at $0.88 and secure it NOW!.
powered by Namecheap
NOTE: I recommend you buy .com domain name and not .com.ng
STEP THREE: Buy your hosting account. I recommend the Stellar shared hosting plan on Namecheap. Presently, it costs just $8.88. Why not hurry before it goes up? If you have watch the video on how to apply Namecheap coupon, click here.
STEP FOUR: Once your domain and host account is ready, go ahead and install WordPress on the domain in your cpanel.
STEP FIVE: When WordPress is installed, login to your blog dashboard (where you will be controlling everything as per the articles and appearance), set up the blog properly, install theme that fits your niche and then start writing.
I know the setting up of the blog will likely pose problem if you are totally new to WordPress.
To make it easy for you, I have come up with an eBook, “WordPress Blog Companion: How to have a self hosted WordPress blog” to guide you through step by step without having to hire anyone.
The book costs just N1000 instead of the normal N5000. If you are like me that loves learning rather than paying for people to do it, you should get this book now.
The book has everything you need to create a professional WordPress blog. This is not like the regular eBook on the internet.
BONUSES you will get if you get this book now:
- You will have access to the video guide if you buy now.
- I will help you personally with the design free of charge.
- You will have free access to Assist Blogger Academy membership site, worth N5000.
How to make Payment for WordPress Blog Companion
If you want to pay directly, use the details below;
- Account number: 0160506003
- Account Name: Obembe Sunday D
- Bank Name: GTB
- Amount: N1000
After payment, contact me on 09030945543.
How to make money with a blog in Nigeria
There are various ways to monetize a blog in Nigeria and globally, but the popular ones are;
- Google AdSense: It is the number one ad network for bloggers across the globe. When you set up your blog rightly, update it with original contents, apply for it. You will be getting paid when your visitors start acting on the ads on your blog.
- AdSense alternatives: These are monetization schemes that works just like AdSense. But Google AdSense performs better
- Ad space: When you have enough traffic daily to your blog, you can be advertising people’s businesses and products and they will pay you for doing so.
- Sponsored post: This is also a form of advertisement. But in form of article. You get paid also for doing it for people.
- Affiliate Marketing: This is done by signing up on companies that offer affiliate promotion. When you sell products that are related to your blog contents and appeal to your audiences via your affiliate link, you get paid your commission.
Before you can make lots of money on your blog, you need to keep driving traffic to it every blessed day. See how to drive traffic to your blog here.
Wrapping up how to start a blog in Nigeria with N5000 to N12,000
Starting a blog in Nigeria nowadays is not has hard and costly as it used to be. With just $15 you can have a prof WordPress blog set up by yourself without having to hire me or anyone else.
This article has given you the best guide to follow in order to start a blog in Nigeria. Follow it and you will see your blog will soon be live.
Don’t forget to share this article with a friend.